May 6, 2012

the lazy girl's kitchen #9: Nikujaga 肉じゃが

Nikujaga which means meat & potato in Japanese, is a popular beef stew cooked in Japanese homes, especially during winter. My friend gave me this easy recipe & insisted that i try it at home. So I decided to venture out of my comfort zone today by attempting this dish!


1. Peel the potatoes & chop them up together with the onions.

2. Slice the beef & pan-fry in oil.

3. Add the potatoes & onions & sauté all of them for a few minutes.

4. Add water, soya sauce & brown sugar to the pan.

5. Add white wine or sake - I used chardonnay which was perfect.

You can vary the seasoning according to your preference. For 2 portions, I used 100g of beef, with 300ml of water, 100 ml of wine, 2 tablespoons of sugar & 3 tablespoons of soya sauce.

6. Let them simmer happily until the potatoes are very soft... about 30 minutes!


Serve with rice. The soft potatoes & tender beef slices were delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment