October 24, 2008

shopping

I've been meaning to do a shopping entry in response to all your messages and after this trip seems as good a time as any. Previously i mentioned there are only 2 things worth getting in the US for me. They have a GREAT variety of stuff, but it's just me being a boring dresser.

I was looking forward to buying a new pair of jeans and we all know finding the perfect pair can take a minute or months. The good folks at Barneys in the Galleria Houston were angels. I was in that store for more than 2 hours and did not buy anything cos my size ran out in the designs i like. Not only did they point me in the direction of Saks and Nordstrom with detailed product names and model nos, they were so friendly and nice and did not put on that salesgirl face, which would have been thrown at me, had I been shopping back home.

I have many pairs of jeans from Mango and Zara cos they're cheap and fit better than American brands like Levis. But a pair of Seven and COH jeans changed my mind and since then, I have to admit that these cult brands are worth the hype and maybe thats why they're not quite so cult anymore.




J Brand jeans are a godsend, especially those in the lightweight denim. They are so so comfortable to wear, not thick and chunky, plus they look so flattering and good on you.
There's Kate moss, Claudia schiffer, Gwen stefani in their J brands and other celebrity fans include Cameron diaz, Blake lively, Katie holmes, etc.

I love their jeans in Cigarette and Straight cut. Jeans with a high elastane content fit better, look better and are immensely comfortable.

-----------------------------------------

Now T-shirts.
To me, the qualities of a truly good T-shirt are as follows:

1. It does not shrink or expand after washing.
2. Get it one size smaller and it fits snug and perfect for layering.
3. Get it in your size and it hangs nicely with a little room to spare.
4. Get it one size bigger and it gives that effortless weekend relaxed vibe with cutoffs or jeans.
5. Get it 2 sizes bigger and you can sleep in it and still look good enough to get the door.

To find a white t-shirt which fulfills these qualities is challenging but not impossible. After years of buying and trying and throwing, below are the brands which I swear by and I buy their T-shirts in 3s cos I never know when they will run out.

1. Gap is pure cotton heaven. I bought T-shirts in pima cotton and they feel so velvety smooth on your skin plus they retain their shape after several washes in the machine. I'm not a fan of Gap clothes but i have to admit their pima cotton tees are really comfortable and lightweight. I could live in them.



2. James Perse T-shirts fit extreeeeeemely well and they manage to look effortlessly chic and drapey without losing their shape. Their Vintage Jewel neck tee and the casual tee a la Nicole richie are must-buys.



3. American Apparel is the one brand which i keep losing i dunno why. I bought 4 white identical T-shirts from there and I lost one in Capri, one in Shanghai, one left at my ex-bf's place and the only one I still have I forgot where i kept it!

But no worries cos their unisex deep V-neck tee is such a bestseller I'm sure it will never run out! Just check out the ratings on their online store for both the sheer jersey and acid wash.




Other brands I love include Playhound (a Thai brand) and Petit Bateau for their cuts but material-wise, the top 3 still win hands-down. Plus their other staples like dresses and shirts are worth buying too. Do you have any favorite labels? I'm always looking out for the perfect tee.

The brands I've mentioned are very affordable cos I don't believe in spending a bomb on clothes. I mean, I've already misplaced 3 within a few months!

When I have time I will do some entries on shoes or makeup but i'm still too lazy to take good and clear pictures. Now I'm off to finish some stuff. Bonne journee X x

No comments:

Post a Comment