August 13, 2008

Shanghai

I visited the biggest bookshop in Shanghai and was a happy camper! Books in China are so cheap and well-made they're a joy to hold in your hand!



Daddy Long-Legs was one of the few Chinese books i read while growing up (though translated from English) so this edition with audio CD is a keeper for me. It looks so nice i bought another one for a friend. Price was only about 4USD!!!!!!



And the main point of this trip to Shanghai.. buying an electronic French-English-Mandarin dictionary.. Armed with instructions from Serene, I finally found it after going to a couple of bookstores and not succumbing to greedy salesmen. I'm over the moon really. It's great cos it's small and slim and cost me only 95USD! No more lugging around thick books.





Exploring the nooks and crannies of the other Shanghai.



And all these just right next door to our hotel! Each time I'm in China, this proverb always springs to mind: Necessity is the mother of invention.

And if you don't even realise what is necessary to stay ahead, then be prepared to be trampled on as the rest pass you by.




No comments:

Post a Comment