April 30, 2008

sense in a scent

The sense in a scent.

Finding your signature scent... one that will keep u company like an old friend thru the years... is like finding yrself. It's an intimate journey of self-discovery, of experimenting, of memories.

1. Clinique's Happy



The year was 2004. Had a good time in HK with J. I remember the scent swirling around me in Cheung Chau where we had the best shellfish by the sea.

Came back, started honours year and met G. Whirlwind romance which lasted nearly 3 years. I was truly happy with him but life throws u unexpected things and we didn't make it through.
This scent saw me through graduation, my first job, quitting that job and getting my current one.
It evokes images of that beautiful summer in Cannes, where we attended the film festival and talked about our dreams while visiting the Provencal markets.

2. Anna Sui's Secret Wish.



I don't use this anymore but for some reason, it is probably the one i feel closest to.
We embarked on a life-changing journey and became students once more. The laughter, the frustration, the steep learning curve, the bitchiness, the training classes, the first uniforms, my first flight to Australia... everything is in this scent. It embodies the close bond i share with my batch mates, the ones who were with me every step of the way.

3. Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle.



I searched for this after catching a whiff of it in Paris a couple years back. Somehow every Parisian woman who came along had this scent on her. It was heady and addictive.
 
At this time, i was slowly being moulded; by all that i saw, all that i came into contact with. Swept up into the culture of buying, of conforming to a stereotype, of an empty and materialistic lifestyle.
At that point in time, i felt lost in my relationships, my life, my career. To me, this scent would always remind me of that. Alone in the city. It started to make me nauseous.
My sister's bf got me 3 small travel-sized bottles of that... i might never finish them.

4. Chanel's Allure



I can't connect to this scent yet. Used it a few times because it was a birthday gift from W.
I hate receiving bottles of perfume for my birthday. All my close friends know that. To me, perfume is very personal and a choice i should make myself.
I find this scent elegant, overpowering and mature. Which was what W wanted me to be.
It still sits on my table.. and i'd rather go au naturel than spray it on.

5. Lanvin's Eclat d'Arpege.



Ahhh. A burst of music, of song, of sunshine.
I use this currently. It's fresh and makes me happy.
I'm so different from the girl i was 4 years ago. I know what makes me tick, what drives me.
I soak in new experiences but stay true to myself, I live for the moment but i have my mind on the future.

It's the scent of new beginnings, of hopes and dreams, of possibilities not known before.
And that's probably why I can't get enough of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment