June 6, 2013

A date with Chagall

A lovely afternoon spent with Chagall at the museum!

He is a master of color and romance and swirls and dreams, he could do a whole painting in different shades of blue and it would be beautiful. If you've ever gone to the Paris Opera House, the ceiling is also painted by him.

And even though I dislike cubism in general no matter the artist, Chagall never goes overboard and his paintings influenced by cubism always turn out soft and romantic, thanks to his mastery of the color palette.


Unfortunately, though the exhibition started in Feb this year, crowds were still aplenty. 



Though my favorites were not there, I learnt more about him and his life which was how I imagined - a true romantic! If ever I could choose 3 paintings to own in my life, a Chagall would be one of them.

As Picasso once said, “When Chagall paints, you do not know if he is asleep or awake. Somewhere or other inside his head, there must be an angel."
 

From now till July 2013 at the Musée du Luxembourg, Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment