April 23, 2012

Barcelona Part 1 : Food & Design

I absolutely adored Barcelona... it lived up to all my expectations in terms of the food, design & architecture:

1. FOOD

On arrival in the city... the first thing I did was to go & find a fantastic local tapas bar & stuff myself with all the delicacies..


La Tramola became a favorite over the stay with its great service, traditional tapas & delicious paella!


From left to right clockwise: Prawn & salmon with cheese Montadito (smaller than tapas), fried Padron peppers, patatas bravas (fried potatoes with spicy sauce), chorizos, churros with melted chocolate, sauteed mushrooms with garlic & parsley, Spanish omelette (egg with onion & potato), Iberico ham with pepper Montadito... Sigh. I thought i'd died & gone to heaven... I ate a mixture of these EVERYDAY!!!!!!


2. DESIGN

I've always imagined Barcelona as a city where design is alive & I wasn't disappointed. For me, it ranks right up there with Tokyo & Bangkok in creativity.


Everywhere I went, my eyes were treated to a delightful feast of colors & ingenuity. This shoe store uses old-style ice-cream boxes.. so cute!


And a lovely sewing & crafts store recommended by a Spanish blogger...


It was one of the most cosy & pretty stores i'd ever seen.


And Barcelona has no lack of designer boutique hotels, the one I stayed in was modern & the lobby bar served a great gin tonic with Spanish gin & basil leaves.. try it at home... its a refreshing twist on regular gin tonic!


Paintings around the hotel all done with 2 smooth pencil strokes.


Of course, when creativity finds its way to city walls, not everyone is happy..


But I heard this funny story, once the wall is washed clean... the graffiti artist paints something new & writes: Wow thanks for giving me another blank canvas! Here's my new signature! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment