September 19, 2007

Mount Fuji

Mt Fuji. 

Armed with information from my sis the seasoned traveller, i made my way to Kawaguchiko, a little town at the foot of Mt Fuji 2 hrs away from Tokyo. Happily shopping in Shinjuku, I miss the bus i'm supposed to take. I manage to catch the next one, only to realise i have not bought the ticket yet!!!!! A really nice guy helps me to buy it and finally i'm on the bus  

Reminding myself not to fall asleep and miss the stop, i still doze off (as usual) and the kind bus driver wakes me up. That makes him about the 10th kind Japanese who went out of his/her own way to help me during this trip.

I check into the backpackers' hostel. They are full and the only available bed is in the 6-bed dormitory. I don't mind; it's cheap and clean and i've stayed in worse ones before. After making my bed, it's time to explore the town!

My first glimpse of Mt Fuji! I was told that it would rain but i'm glad the skies were smiling at me. Even though the ice has already melted at the summit, Fuji-san is still resplendent amidst the clouds.

At lake Kawaguchiko.

After walking for what seems like 9 hrs but in fact was only 3, i decide to check out Kosaku, a famous restaurant serving the region's specialty, houto noodles.

Proof that it's the most popular one around!

Tabemasho!!!!!

I'm off to take a dip in the hot spring which is just behind the hostel. It's my first time in an onsen! While i'm not a prude, i still feel some hesitation in baring all.

As i step into the locker room, naked ladies turn round to smile at me. Yes i can do this. I step gingerly into the shower area, thinking i'm just going to take a quick shower and go into the tub. But no, girls are merrily scrubbing away. Everyone has a small area with a shower, soap and shampoo, small stool and mirror. I sit between 2 ladies and try very hard not to stare.

20 mins later, i'm clean and pink and shiny. Ok i'm ready!

The spring is hot hot hot. But with the cool evening air, it's a nice dip. The waters are rich in calcium and sodium and have healing properties for ailments like fatigue and muscle pain. Sounds good to me! All around me, girls are sashaying in their naked glory. The lady next to me strikes up a conversation thinking i'm japanese. We manage to converse in halting english. It feels weird to be chatting with someone when both of u are naked.

But after the whole experience, i can say i enjoyed it and will definitely go again! What can i say... i'm addicted

The next morning at 3.30am, i bid farewell to the hostel and make my way to a hotel nearby where a driver will pick me up for the trip up Mt Fuji.

On the bus, i realise i'm the only non-Japanese but everyone is so friendly despite the sleepy faces. We reach the 5th station, about 2300m above sea-level. The summit stands at 3776m. This is the most popular base to start the climb to the summit. But as we are past the official climbing season, the 5th station is relatively deserted.

Time check: 5.15am. There are sighs of awe and squeals of delight all round. The view is simply breathtaking. We sing a song to welcome the sun... i happily sing along but i dont understand a single word ha.

Finally the sun peeks out from the blanket of clouds... a ritual since the beginning of time and yet such a beautiful sight.

From here, the summit looks so close. I have this sudden urge to ascend Mt Fuji by foot. Don't laugh at me, when i put my mind to something i will do it! I rem my mum laughing at me when i told her a few yrs ago that i was training to be a lifeguard... i still got my certification in the end lalalala  So who's up for it with me? Only easy-going people with a good sense of humor pls!

As we descend the mountain, a faint rainbow completes the magical morning.

I walk to the train station for my bus back to Tokyo. You are rewarded with very clear views of the summit, as is usual in the early hours of the morning.

Well prepared for the trip back.. i love love love the milk tea in Japan.. i'm always in a dilemma... Kirin or Royal? In the end i just take both.. must have drank some 8 bottles during the trip? And lugged back 5 bottles!

i'm glad i made the trip, despite the discouraging weather reports. Was happy to be alone and discover new things. Ok next!

No comments:

Post a Comment