May 29, 2007

Karachi

I never thought i would get a chance to visit this country in my life but well, i did. Welcome to Karachi, Pakistan's largest city.

The first thing that strikes me is the heat... 40 degrees. And then the men in their white robes and sandals. They stare at us like vultures the minute we exit the airport and their gazes never leave us until our bus drives out of sight.

Along the way, my eyes are glued to the window because i know it's the closest look i'll get into the daily hustle & bustle of this city. One thing i notice is how few women there are on the roads. The traffic lights don't work, there're no lane markings and the city is just a mess of grey/beige/white concrete buildings and gravel pavements.

There are also armed soldiers everywhere... i don't know if they are there because it's military-controlled or because of the recent events. In any case, seeing their rifles makes me feel uneasy.

I stare at everyone and they stare back too; I'm just as curious as them! Once in a while, i smile and they smile too.

When we reach the hotel, we are advised not to go anywhere alone and the concierge discourages us from exploring the market nearby due to the current situation.

Which is why i have so few pictures. Taking this picture from my room balcony, i can't help feeling like a bird in a cage. Luckily i have my DVDs which kept me company the whole 2 days.

I was glad to leave Karachi because i really felt unsafe there but at the same time, there's a sadness that comes with not being able to explore the city and culture. Nonetheless, the short stay there opened my eyes to another world and allowed me to put images to the words that i read on paper. I wonder when it will ever be safe for tourists to visit this country?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment