April 24, 2007

A Dutch love affair part II

A Dutch love affair... part II

The next day dawns bright and sunny.. perfect for a trip out of the city. I visit Alkmaar... a town famous for its weekly cheese market, a 370 year-old tradition.

Looks like i'm not the only one... the market square teems with locals and tourists alike.

The cheese stalls do a bustling business.. i also get down to business hee. I take slivers of cheese from this old lady to try, then buy slices to nibble & munch on for the day... then i buy in whole rinds to bring home. Edam, Gouda, naturel, mixed herbs, garlic... i buy them all.

A dutch beauty...

The picturesque dutch countryside lifts my spirits. Although the terrain of the Netherlands is predominantly flat... there is beauty to be found in every landscape non?

I reach the Zaanse Schans, a lovely hamlet on the banks of the river Zaan with charming 18th century villages. I love the green wooden houses and little workshops. Very quaint. But most importantly, i was there to finally see for myself....

Windmills! What's a trip to Holland without visiting one of these?

Humpbacked bridges..

One of the windmills is open for viewing so everyone grabs the chance to climb up and check the view.

The rickety old wooden staircase is the only way up. Many of the old ladies decide to give it a miss. But i don't really care... i happily clomp my way up in my heels.. with a little help from some friendly dutch kids!



i take many shots but this is my favorite :) Feeling the breeze & hearing the excited voices of others who joined me on this little visit, i have the sudden urge to laugh & shout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment